At the dawn of the American Revolution, an elm tree on the Boston Commons served as a meeting place for the Colonials as they planned their revolt. This became known as the “Liberty Tree”. Patriots throughout the colonies planted their own “liberty trees” to show their support for the cause and serve as rallying points.
Two hundred and forty years ago (1777), a stand of thirteen elms was planted in the heart of Elmwood to celebrate the American victory over General Burgoyne at Saratoga, New York. Had this battle been lost, our country would most likely have remained a British colony.
As the eighteenth century closed and the nineteenth began, rows of elms were planted along New Britain Avenue and Newington Road and provided the area’s name of “Elmwood.” Their cathedral-like canopy created an effect know as an ‘outdoor room’.